Well it’s been a long time since I have posted here but life has thrown me many curves and new experiences that just needed to be tended too. But I am back and hopefully I can be posting on a regular basis (at least once a week).
So I must admit that staying on my keto diet the past 7 months was seriously derailed due to my laziness and stress, and unfortunately I went back to eating dairy and grains. I still stayed with eating less and only when I was hungry. As expected I have been feeling crappy and pain is once again a constant in my life. Well it is time to change that and get back on track.
As of yesterday I re-committed to getting back on track and get back to feeling better again. So to celebrate a new beginning, I made a favorite meal for our family “Cabbage Lasagna”. I know this isn’t the usual way to use cabbage but we have so much in the garden this year and we love Lasagna so I figured why not use cabbage instead of the usual pasta. This recipe can also be made using thin slices of Butternut squash or thicker Eggplant or Zucchini slices as well.
For this recipe I used a previously home canned item.(Roasted Red Pepper Spread ). You can use store-bought if you like. I made a large pan of Lasagna and counted it out to be 8 adult sized servings per lasagna. For the nutritional info: Everyone’s mileage will vary, depending on the products you use the recipe will need to be calculated if you are keeping track of your macros.
- Roasted Red Pepper Spread – One 1/2 pint or 250 ml bottle
- Roasted Tomato Sauce – 1 quart bottle
- Mushroom pieces – 2 small cans
- Green Cabbage Leaves, boiled – 12 lag leaves
- Mixture of ground beef & pork, cooked – 2 lbs total
- Mixed Italian cheeses – 1 lb / 16 oz.
- Olive or coconut oil for cooking meat. – 2 tbsp.
- Start a large pot of water and bring to a full boil.
- Once boiling add 12 cabbage leaves and boil until soft but still able to hold its shape. Remove from water and drop into ice water to cool. Drain and set aside for assembly.
- Cook ground meats and mushrooms until nicely browned, add extra herbs if you like such as hot peppers. (I just used the spices and herbs in the pepper sauce and the tomato sauce.)
- Grate cheeses of your choice.
- Start assembling the lasagna. ( I use tomato sauce on the bottom , then I layers 5 cabbage leaves, added some meat and cheese and 1/2 the mushrooms. The I repeated the same for the second layer and added the rest of cheeses on top.
- Put in oven on 300 for approx. 30-40 minutes. approx. Check to see if it is done after 30 minutes.
- Slice into 8 larger pieces or 10 smaller pieces. We usually have the lasagna with a small salad of some sort, so cut smaller pieces.